[Xprint] Re: [STSF-devel] My STSF wishlist...

Sat Jan 10 18:15:26 EST 2004

Alexander Gelfenbain wrote:
>>I guess this means the Xserver only has one connection to the
>>stfontserver, right ? Will the whole Xserver "block" while the
>>stfontserver is being accessed or only the requesting client ?
>

> This question is better answered by our X11 gurus.

I think it has no choice but to block the entire Xserver, since the
Xserver is neither multi-threaded, nor is there an asynchronous STSF API.
(And no, making the Xserver multi-threaded is not a simple solution to
  this problem as it would require many engineering-years of work to do
  properly, and cause compatibility issues for all servers with loadable
  extension or DDX modules, such as Xsun & XFree86.)

>>Main support for the printer-internal fonts sits in the single Xprint
>>DDX implementations. The only problem which may affect the STSF client
>>side are font queries where the results may change after a print context
>>has been set via |XpSetContext()| ...
>>... the biggest problem I am currently worrying about is how I can
>>implement support for rendering fonts with an alpha channel in the
>>PostScript DDX... any ideas ?
>
> Jay, Alan, any comments on that?

I have none - Jay has done far more work on Xprint DDX'es than I have.

         -Alan Coopersmith-         alan.coopersmith at sun.com
          Sun Microsystems, Inc.    -     Sun Software Group
          User Experience Engineering: G11N: X Window System