[Xprint] Problem Printing Greek

sopho metsis sophom at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 00:07:45 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I've just spent several hours over the course of a couple of days and can't
figure this out. I'm trying to get xprint to work so I can print greek web
pages properly. Actually I'm trying to "print" them to pdf or a ps file. I
can get everything to work great with english web pages but not greek.

The story:
I'm running fedora 4.
Installed xprint, xplsprinters showed me my printers and got the
xphelloworld to print to a pdf file just fine
I found out that the FC4 mozilla does not support xprint.
I rebuilt mozilla from scratch with gtk2
I can print using xprint from the new mozilla 1.7.12 build. English pages
work great greek pages don't.
Note that I have the MgOpen greek fonts installed which look fabulous with
mozilla and xft.
I did a ps -ef |grep Xprt and I did not see the mg fonts in my -fp path
which was setup by default by /etc/init.d/xprint
I googled around abit and found out about ttmkfdir and mkfontdir I ran those
two in the MgOpen font dir and created a .scale and .dir file. They seem
reasonable although one seems to be a copy of the other.
I did a /etc/init.d/xprint restart. The mgopen dir is now in the  -fp path
I started up mozilla again printed again and it almost makes no difference
when viewing the pdf file.
I have a screenshot of what mozilla looks like with greek fonts here (This
is a sample of what I want to print):
http://www.kellyandsopho.com/xprint/enet.png
The resulting pdf file (from /tmp/Xprintjobs):
http://www.kellyandsopho.com/xprint/enet.pdf

Currently if I do ps -ef |grep Xprt I get
root      4634  4633  2 Dec14 pts/1    00:01:02 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xprt -ac -pn
-nolisten tcp -audit 4 -fp
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera,/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript,/usr/share/fonts/mgopen,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
:33

Can someone give me a clue? This is driving me nuts. Please...

Thanks,

Sopho

PS I use evince or xpdf to display the file.