[Xprint] Problem Printing Greek

Jan Willem Stumpel jstumpel at planet.nl
Fri Dec 23 08:38:38 EST 2005

Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 10:33 +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> Drew, you said in your message that you have no problem generating
>> the pdf. How about the ps? Don't you have the problem of "huge text
>> shown by ps viewer"?

> No, the pdf file views just fine, whether from xpdf or from gv.
> Moreover I can produce a postscript file from it using pdf2ps, which
> also views fine from gv.

Aha. I had tried it with Adobe Acroread 7.0. This gives problems; no
Greek letters, and problems when I try to scroll through the document
("A drawing error has occurred"). Now I tried viewing the pdf with gv
and xpdf: this went OK!

However, there is something wrong the xprint-generated pdf (printed with
gv or xpdf): the page image when printed is about 15 % smaller than the
direct print-to-printer (large right and bottom margins). Do you find
this also? Maybe this somehow causes Acroread to misbehave.

> I get the huge-text-in-ps-viewer problem, but only when I use firefox
> to "print to file" or select the xp_ps_spooldir printer, generating
> the postscript directly. [..]

I found that mozilla.ps generated by xprint can be made viewable by
using the "postscript distiller" program ps2ps (part of the gs
distribution). But then also, the page image becomes about 15 % too small!

> Interesting to note that the header is now printed on the same page
> as the main text from Firefox 1.5, which hit Debian unstable this
> week. That's a bit of progress, then.

I find the same thing since my recent dist-upgrade, but I use Mozilla
(now 1.7.12-1). It could be some other component in unstable causes this
improved behaviour.

Regards, Jan