[Xprint] Xprint Server Side Support / AIX5

Julien Lafon julien.lafon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:07:38 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:10:46 +0100, Hannes Kappacher
<Johann_Kappacher at at.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi, dear Xprint-ers!
>
> I am working for IBM Austria AIX Base Support.
>
> At the moment, I am evaluating/implementing Xprint for AIX53 for
> a complex Migration Project.
>
> At your Webpage,  http://xprint.mozdev.org/releases/
> I found the following starting line:
> We initially release builds on the Linux x86 platform; Solaris, HP-UX and
> AIX ship with Xprint's server side by default,
> so you do not need to download or build your own Xprint server on these
> platforms.
>
> I cannot verify this statement, because I have only found
> XPConfig and libXp.a comming with AIX Base Filesets.
Maybe the Xprt binary has a different name? Or the Xprt server is
included within the normal Xserver (HPUX does it that way).

> Do I have to build the Xprt Server Side from the sources?
AFAIK no, at least older releases from xprint.mozdev.org have binary
packages for AIX, only for the 009.xxx release series the AIX platform
is still missing.

> Do you have some hints for me, and are you interested in the outcoming
> of this effort?
My first suggestion would be to wait for Roland Mainz (who is busy
with X Consortium work right now) or Tanja Pradetch (who knows the AIX
platform details better than I do).

--
Julien Lafon
Consultant Software Engineer